Accelerated Reading (AR)
Accelerated Reader is a reading program, used by St. Joseph Catholic School, that offers more than 200,000 quizzes to motivate and monitor students’ reading performance and vocabulary growth. Students can test on books read from the school library, classroom library, or books from home.
Summer: June 6 – August 19, 2022
1st Quarter: August 22 – October 12, 2022
2nd Quarter: October 13 – December 16, 2022
3rd Quarter: January 4 – March 16, 2023
4th Quarter: March 20 – May 5, 2023
- Students may take AR quizzes during the school day at the discretion of their classroom teacher. Testing is available to students 7:30am – 2:45pm Monday – Friday.
- Students must take AR quizzes independently. Parents may not take AR quizzes for their children or help their children take the AR quiz.
- Rewards will be based on AR quizzes taken from June 2022 through May 2023.
- AR Top Readers: The top 3 readers (point totals) from each class will receive a special prize at the end of the school year. The top 4 readers (point totals) of the entire school will be recognized on a special plaque displayed in the library at the end of the school year.
- AR Million Word Club: Students who read a million words or more during the school year (June-May) will be recognized quarterly for their achievement, with their name displayed on the Million Word Club board in the library and recognized during quarterly Star Shout-outs.
- AR Prize Distribution: At the end of each quarter, students will receive small prizes if they reach their AR point goal for that quarter. Distribution of prizes will occur during Media Research class. Students who reach their individual point goal all 4 quarters will receive a non-uniform day in May.
- Beat the Teachers: Can you earn more points than the teachers? All students who earn more points than the teachers’ total points will be invited to a Winners’ Breakfast in May. You must read books on your level (or higher) –don’t test on easy books for extra points (no cheating!).
- Individual prizes per quarter, for completion of point goal:
1st Quarter: Bookmark
2nd Quarter: Pencil
3rd Quarter: Treasure box choice
4th Quarter: Book
- All 4 Quarters: Non-uniform day (in May)
- End of year individual large point prizes, by grade group:
- 2nd grade
50 points: Lunch and movie afternoon in the library (in May; lunch provided)
100 points: Lunch with the principal (in May; location to be determined)
150 points: Both events
- 3rd grade
80 points: Lunch and movie afternoon in the library (in May; lunch provided)
150 points: Lunch with the principal (in May; location to be determined)
230 points: Both events
- 4th – 5th grades
175 points: Lunch and movie afternoon in the library (in May; lunch provided)
300 points: Lunch with the principal (in May; location to be determined)
475 points: Both events
- 6th– 8th grades
300 points: Lunch and movie afternoon in the library (in May; lunch provided)
450 points: Lunch with the principal (in May; location to be determined)
750 points: Both events